Penalty for contravention of section 14
Whoever in contravention of the provisions of this Act or the regulations framed under this Act or the provisions of the Indian Electricity Act, 1910 or the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948 or the rules framed under the said Acts, engages in the business of Transmission or supply or use of energy, shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to one year or with penalty by way of fine which may extend to Rs.5,00,000 (five lakhs) or both and a further penalty which may extend to Rs.20,000 (twenty thousands) for each day after the first during which the offence continues.
Penalties for contravention of other provisions
41. If any licensee or other person refuses or fails without reasonable excuse to comply with or give effect to, any direction, order or requirement made under any of the provisions of this Act he shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to six months or with penalty by way of fine which may extend to Rs.5,00,000 (five lakhs) or both and a further penalty which may extend to Rs.20,000 (twenty thousands) for each day after the first during which the offence continues.
Offences by companies
42. (1) Where an offence under this Act has been committed by a company every person who, at the time the offence was committed, was in charge of, and was responsible to the company for the conduct of the business of the company, as well as the company, shall be deemed to be guilty of the offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly:
Provided that nothing contained in this sub-section shall render any such person liable to any punishment if he proves that the offence was committed without his knowledge or that he had exercised all due diligence to prevent the commission of such offence.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), where an offence under this Act, has been committed by a company and it is proved that the offence has been committed with the consent or connivance of, or is attributable to any neglect on the part of, any director, manager, secretary or other officer of the company, such director, manager, secretary or other officer shall also be deemed to be guilty of that offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly.
For the purposes of this section.
(a) "Company" means a body corporate and includes a firm or other association of individuals; and
(b) "director" in relation to a firm, means a partner in the firm.
Power to compound offences
43. The Commission may for reasons to be recorded in writing either before or after the institution of proceedings compound any offence relating to contravention of any order made by it.
Cognizance of offence
44. (1) No Court shall take cognizance of any offence punishable under this Act except upon a complaint in writing made by an officer of the Commission, generally or specially authorized in this behalf by the Commission and no Court other than that of a Metropolitan Magistrate or a Judicial Magistrate of First Class or a Court superior thereto shall try any such offence.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal procedure, 1973 the Court may, if it sees reason so to do, dispense with the personal attendance of the officer of the Commission filing the complaint.
Penalties and proceedings not to prejudice other actions
45. The proceedings and actions under this Act against a person contravening the provisions of the Act or orders passed by the Commission shall be in addition to and without prejudice to actions that may be initiated under other Acts including and in particular under the Indian Electricity Act, 1910 and the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948.